Report abuse or neglect

Report a concern about an adult

If you believe someone is in immediate danger, dial 999.

Call Adult Social Care

Telephone: 0345 603 7630
Textphone: 0345 758 5592

Monday to Thursday, 8:45am to 5pm
Friday, 8:45am to 4:30pm

For out of hours queries contact the Emergency Duty Service.
Telephone: 0345 606 1212

You can also email the Adult Social Care team and someone will get back to you.

You may want to report a concern if you:

  • are worried about the safety or wellbeing of a member of the public, family member or friend
  • suspect neglect or abuse
  • would like to report an incident

Even if you are not sure whether we need to be aware, call Adult Social Care. We are best placed to decide whether it warrants further investigation.

If you have concern about a child, let us know.

Why you may be concerned

Neglect and abuse can take different forms, ranging from exploitation and disrespectful treatment to physical harm.

It can be at a low level, taking place over a long time, or it can take place over a short time and be more extreme.

Visit NHS for more about spotting signs of abuse or neglect.

Find out more about Essex County Council Safeguarding

For professionals

Professionals should use the Adult Alert form (SETSAF) to report a concern.

Print this page